1. The managing director took the _____ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
A. guilt B. charge C. blame D. accusatio
[答案] C. blame.
[注释]take the blame for 对......承担责任。Take charge of 负责管理 (照顾) 。
2. The worker agreed to _____ the strike if the company would satisfy their demands.
A. call for B. call forth C. call off D. call up
[答案] C. call off
3. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn't _____ what color it was.
A. look out B. make out C. get across D. take after
[答案] B. make out
4. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet C. finally D. accordingly
[答案] D. accordingly.
[注释]accordingly (=for that reason, therefore) 因此, 所以。
5. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn't like.
A. attempt B. trouble C. power D. effort
[答案] D. effort.
[注释] effort (作可数名词用) (=vigorous attempt) 努力的尝试：Does it require a great effort of will to give up smoking? (戒烟需要坚强的毅力吗?)
6. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent C. suppress D. ruin
[答案] A. extinguish.
[注释] extinguish (=put out) vt. 扑灭 (火焰等) 。Stop the fire虽然也可以搭配, 但按本句题意用extinguish为最佳。
7. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing butB. anything butC. above all D.rather than
[答案] B. anything but.
[注释]anything but (=far from being) 根本不; The boys knew they bad broken the rules, and they were anything but happy when they were called to the office. (=They were unhappy and afraid.)
nothing but只不过; Don't have him for a friend; he's nothing but a criminal. (不要把他当朋友, 他只不过是个罪犯。) I have nothing but two dollars. (我只有2美元。)
above all最重要的。rather than 而不是
8. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off C. written off D. picked up
[答案] C. written off.
[注释] write off报废
9. On this happy occasion, I'd like to say that we are _____ much obliged to you for your kind cooperation.
A. even so B. ever so C. as yet D. so far
[答案] B. ever so.
[注释]ever so(=very) 非常; It's ever so cold.与名词搭配时则用ever such, 如：She's ever such a nice girl. (她是一位非常好的姑娘。)
even so(=although that is true, nevertheless; still) 即使如此：The fire was out, but even so, the smell of smoke was strong. (=The fire was out, but the smell was still there.)
10. His new appointment takes _____ from the beginning of next month.
A. place B. effect C. post D. office
[答案] B. effect.
[注释]take effect 生效。